ARE YOU A RELATIVE OR FRIEND OF A CHILD WHO RECENTLY CAME INTO FOSTER CARE?
ARE YOU INTERESTED IN PROVIDING THE CHILD A STABLE AND LOVING HOME?
When a child cannot live with their parents, they need temporary care in the home of someone they know,
such as a relative or non-related close friend (NREFM).
If you want to care for a child who is related to you or is part of your extended family,
you must apply to have your home approved.
- You may obtain an application for assessment of your home any one of these ways:
Besides caring for the child, there are other ways you can be part of their life:
Download the forms here:
- Helpful Information For Relatives And Extended Family Members English Spanish
- Application For Assessment Of Relative/NREFM Home English Spanish
- Verification of Relative or Non-Relative Extended Family Member (NREFM) English Spanish
In Person - Go to Social Services lobby of Kern County Department of Human Services
located at 100 East California Bakersfield, CA 93307
- OR -
Mailed to You - call (661) 631-6002, and ask to have an application packet mailed to you.
- OR -
KSSP- Go to Kinship Support Services Program located at 316 H Street Bakersfield CA 93304 or call 661-377-0377
- helping the child reunify with their parent,
- telling CPS about other relatives who may want to help,
- visiting the child at their foster home,
giving information to the juvenile court (verbal or written), etc.
If you can help one of these ways, or have other ideas, please call
the child's social worker (see #2, "In Person" above).