In Kern County, Resource Family Orientations are held at:
3711 Columbus St.
Bakersfield, CA 93306 [Map]
- Evening English RFA orientations are held every 2nd and 4th Thursday of the month, 5:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. Morning English RFA orientations are offered 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- Spanish orientations are held every 3rd Thursday of the month, 5:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.
- Please see the RFA calendar below for dates.
(In November and December, orientations on the 4th Thursday of the month are canceled due to the holidays.)
* Individuals who arrive more than 15 minutes late will not be permitted into the orientation.
To reserve a seat or for more information, please call (661) 631-6204.
To register online for an RFA orientation click the link below:
Orientation is also available online in English and Spanish if you cannot make an in-person orientation.
Pre-Service Training and Ongoing Training
Each applicant must complete a minimum of 12 hours of pre-service training prior to Resource Family Approval.
Once approved, each Resource Parent completes a minimum of 8 hours of annual training. Annual training can consist of 4 hours of training online; contact your RFA Social Worker to register you for free. Four hours of annual training must be completed in person through Bakersfield College or another community training approved by the assigned RFA Social Worker.
Bakersfield College RFA Training Schedule
- Bakersfield College Training Schedules
- For Pre-service select “Resource Family Approval Training”
- For Annual training select “On-Going Training”
- To sign up for training call (661) 395-4991 or register online
CPR and First-Aid
CPR and First-Aid is required for all Resource Families. RFA offers this 4-hour class for free to Resource Families. You must pre-register by calling (661) 319-1836. See the RFA Calendar for class schedule. You may also attend a CPR and First-Aid course offered in the community.